Friday, August 7, 2009

Archie Moore's Bar & Restaurant




Archie Moore’s Bar & Restaurant

(203.256.9295) 48 Sanford Street Fairfield, CT 06430


Before I get into my first review, I would like to introduce myself as the newest contributor to FCfoodbytes. I am a recent Staples High School graduate who will be attending Duke University in the fall. My personal addition to the posts, parallel to Jordan’s numerical ratings, will be the “What I would get if I returned” section, which is fairly straightforward.

Today I made my first visit to Archie Moore’s Bar & Restaurant in Fairfield. I had never heard of the place, but I was urged to go by my friend Dan who had a hankering for their famous Buffalo wings. Eventually, I was cajoled into coming, along with my friend Willys. As the three of us entered the restaurant, I immediately noticed the place’s college hangout feel. Fairfield University students were strewn among the many tables. The restaurant with filled with joyous noise that bounced off of the wooden interior. Vintage Coca-Cola posters, clocks, and signs peppered the walls. (My favorite was a sign over the bar that depicted two smiling kid’s faces and said “Welcome. Have a Coke.”) Wide-screen televisions showed the Yankees-Red Sox game to eagerly watching sports fans. The room was casual and cheerful.

The wait staff seated us promptly and seemed legitimately happy to see us. We ordered a 14-wing plate to share along with an appetizer of six “burger bites” (sliders) and a plate of cheesy-jalapeño nachos. Each dish was extremely large, well worth the price paid for supposed appetizer portions. Moreover, the wings were superb. The Buffalo sauce was not overpowering, yet it had a zest that built to a spicy climax upon finishing each wing. Plus, the wings were particularly crisp on first bite. The nachos were also delicious. The tortilla chips were smothered with cheddar and mozzarella cheese. In fact, there was so much cheese that I had to use a knife to cut each chip away from the gooey center. The sliders were good but not remarkable, clearly downsized versions of a pretty average burger. Overall, I had a great experience at Archie Moore’s, and the wings are alone are worth the trip.

What I would get if I returned:
A plate of wings and a Coke (I’d skip the sharing bit, though).
Please Note: This review is in addition to Jordan's previous review of Archie Moore's on July 7th 2009.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent first review! I had also never been to Archie Moore's until this summer and agree that it is a place worth returning to. I like your personal addition to the review of what you would get. Glad to see you are on board with FC Food Bytes!

    ReplyDelete