Monday, July 13, 2009

Ash Creek Saloon

Ash Creek Saloon ~ 2 Wilton Ave. Norwalk, CT 06581 ~ (203) 847-7500

I've been having quite a bit of BBQ food lately including an excellent Carolina Pulled Pork sandwich from Westport's own Bobby Q's, which is hard to beat.  However, Ash Creek puts up a fight.  

This was my first time eating at the Norwalk restaurant because I usually go to the one in Fairfield.  Also, I ventured away from my usual self and tried the BBQ Brisket Sandwich ($8.99) instead of the ribs (voted best in Connecticut 2005 and 2008).  However, to no surprise, the sandwich was delicious.  Rich in tasty vinegar-based BBQ sauce, the brisket was of perfect consistency and there was plenty of it.  Enough meat filled the roll that I didn't even bother finishing it or the sweet potato fries on the side.  Side note:  I did notice that the brisket somewhat resembled the pulled pork because it wasn't as chunky as the brisket I'm used to, but this had no effect on my review.

I must not forget to mention the appetizer.  Though simple, the small gorgonzola salad ($6.99) was very good.  Filled with mixed greens, fresh gorgonzola, red onions, dried cranberries, walnuts, and a nice balsamic vinaigrette, this salad vanished in a matter of minutes.  

TIP: If you aren't too hungry but are in the mood for great BBQ, get one of the sandwiches.  There is enough meat in these sandwiches - pulled pork, chicken, brisket, etc. - to fill your stomach, and they are far less expensive than the full BBQ dinner plates.  These platters can range up to the mid-$20s while no sandwich tops $10.99.

Overall: 4.2
Taste: 4
Atmosphere: 4 (cool bar scene with big TVs)
Experience: 4.5
Menu: 4 (standard BBQ + original sandwiches)
Service:  4.5 (waiter was extremely prompt and nice)
Would I return? Yes

No comments:

Post a Comment