Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Jeff's Cuisine


Jeff's Cuisine 203-852-0041
54 N. Main St. South Norwalk, CT 06854

After hearing several rave reviews, I headed over to Jeff's in South Norwalk with high expectations. Chef Jeff friendly greeted Kenta, Jordan and I with big fist pounds (think Shaq meets Howie Mandel), and he did so with the rest of his customers. But now to the food.

It was a hit and miss kinda thing for me. First, most of the food is sitting out in dishes in front of the customers, which was somewhat unappetizing (like an ice cream shop). I ended up tasting several of the items on the menu.

My hits: the pulled pork- tender meat, great flavor, enough spice
corn bread- served with every dish- a nice sweetness
fried chicken- my favorite item- perfectly cooked with a good crunch on the outside
mac + cheese- baked the way I like it with a lot of crisp parts and good cheddar flavor

Now the misses:
the ribs- not bad by any means, but had too much sauce for my taste
jerk chicken- a good amount of spice but no distinct flavor-simply burned my tongue
cajun fries- tasted out of the bag and no cajun spice

The prices were good (about $10-11 for an entree w/ side + cornbread), the service by other employees wasn't great,  and the decor was minimal (but honestly who cares at a bbq joint).

You can tell Jeff puts his heart and soul into his food, and although I thought he missed on a few dishes, I'd definitely come back for the hits (which were very good), so hit up Jeff's for some great southern food!


1 comment:

  1. Overall, I'd say I enjoyed my meal at Jeff's. The pulled pork and baked beans were both very good, and like you said the cornbread was a nice addition.

    However, in my opinion the service was very weak. The timing wasn't the issue as much as the lack of friendliness by employees. The woman behind the counter took my order with a grim expression on her face and an annoyed tone. Then, when I asked her to wrap up my remaining pulled pork, she asked if I still had my utensil. After telling her I did, she made me pack up the extra food myself (very easy to do, but I don't think a paying customer should have to do this). The only exception to the bad service was that Jeff, the owner/chef, was extremely nice and friendly. He constantly came out to the eating area to check on his customers and make sure everyone was happy. In the end, I'd rather have them cater a party or me pick up from Jeff's then return for a sit-down meal.

    ReplyDelete