Thursday, July 16, 2009

Westport Farmer's Market


Located in the Imperial Ave. parking lot in Westport, CT sits my newfound favorite place in my hometown. It's the Westport Farmer's Market- open every Thursday 10am-2pm and Sunday 11:30am-2:30pm from May until mid-November. (Sundays are behind the Saugatuck Congregational Church on 245 Post Rd. E)

Here in this ordinary parking lot is not only the best place to buy fresh vegetables, but also the best place to fill yourself up on a meal of food samples (sorry Stew Leonard's). 

They've got the best fruit pies from various bakeries including Michelle's and SoNo Bakery. There's fresh clams, oysters, and lobsters from Capt. Jeff Northrop. Then there's organic tomales from Boxcar Cantina in Greenwich, Wave Hill bread, and fresh fruit + vegetable smoothies. Add in Andrew's honey, fresh vegetables from several local farms and Arogyo tea. And lastly-one of my favorites- 6 different kinds of fresh goat's milk cheese. 

All of the food is organic, freshly made, and best of all- there's free samples galore. I make sure I hit every stand before I leave. And then eventually I'll buy something to take home. If you haven't yet, you MUST check out the Westport Farmer's Market. And there's several others in Fairfield County so be sure to look online for them all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment