Friday, July 3, 2009

Pho Mekong



Pho Mekong 203-255-2900  1849 Post Road E. Westport, CT 06881

Pho Mekong is a thai/vietnamese restaurant that serves up your traditional asian cuisine, as well as several specialties. The restaurant is overall pretty casual, with average service and an extensive menu. Probably too extensive. When I first sat down and opened the menu, it was just too long for me. There were really so many dishes that I couldn't decide what I wanted. 

But after a while, I tried the fried pork dumplings, a rice pancake filled with ground pork and a crab meat spring roll.  The dumplings were the best dish, nice and crisp on the outside with a good filling. The rice pancake was just too mushy, while the spring rolls did not really have the taste of crab.  

For an entree I tried the traditional Vietnamese dish "pho", which the restaurant is named after. It's rice noodles with thin slices of beef and a hot broth with bean sprouts, peppers and basil.  Overall the dish had tons of flavor- the saltiness of the broth, the spice of jalapenos, and the fresh taste of the basil.  It was the first time I'd had pho, but I would definitely order that dish again. 

Although it needs to shorten its menu and improve some of its dishes, Pho Mekong pulled through on its traditional Vietnamese dish. It was not my favorite asian restaurant around, but it definitely had a couple very good plates. 

No comments:

Post a Comment