Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Westport House of Pancakes


Westport House of Pancakes 203-454-9709
520 Post Rd. E Westport, CT 06880

I've been wanting to try WHOP for a while now, mostly because of the mystery behind it. Has anyone in Westport ever been here? Is it related to IHOP? (I found out it's not) How do you even pronounce their name?? "Weehop" seems reasonable to me. But anyways I went in one Sunday morning for a pre-golf breakfast with a few friends. We were seated in a booth by a friendly waiter and promptly served water. 

Unbelievable as it may be, the water actually tasted bad. I'm not one to be picky about any food, but the water was luke warm and had a weird aftertaste. OK, so now on to the food. I ordered the breakfast sampler which let me try a little bit of the ham, sausage, bacon, eggs, hash browns, french toast and pancakes. The eggs were your average scrambled eggs- nothing special. The three meats and hash browns were clearly all packaged and warmed up. All tasted boring and sub-par. 

The pancakes weren't bad actually. And the best part of the meal was the french toast. Thick bread, golden crisp outside and powdered sugar. I was pleasantly surprised with their french toast, and was actually wanting some more. 

WHOP serves breakfast, lunch and dinner, and their extensive menu is a basically your normal diner fare. But after trying their breakfast- which seems to be their specialty- I would not go back to WHOP. Their prices are slightly cheaper than local diners, but I'd probably just rather head to Dunkin Donuts or McDonald's for even cheaper breakfast. 
Oh, and I still think I'm one of the few Westporters to enter the WHOP. 




No comments:

Post a Comment