Friday, July 3, 2009

What's Cooking?

What's Cooking? ~ 1700 Post Rd #C1 Fairfield, CT ~ (203) 259-7373

Once again, I decided to eat lunch at the restaurant I had just delivered Steaz to.  This time, it was "What's Cooking?" in Fairfield, CT.  This place was really cool.  It had a typical deli setup - narrow room, few indoor seating, glass case in front with deli meats, 3 beverage coolers - but it was much nicer and lacked the dirtiness that many delis have.  So, I was already intrigued.  Then, I looked at the menu.  This was like no other deli I had ever been to.  Unlike the typical #17: Tuna on rye, each item on the menu was a homemade creation and sounded incredible.  For instance, the menu featured "The Beast" (roast beef, swiss, lettuce, tomato, horseradish sauce), "Philly Guacamole Cheese Steak Wrap," Monte Cristo, San Diego Chicken sandwich, and many other delicious concoctions.  In addition to their fresh salads, wraps, hot sandwiches, cold heroes, paninis, "croissant-wiches," kid menu (PBJ or chicken cutlet), and breakfast foods, What's Cooking? also offers prepared foods to take home; and they deliver (if ordered before 11am)!  

Anyway, moving on to what I ate...I was told that the Hot BBQ Roast Beef sandwich was a popular dish, so I went for it.  A short 5 minutes later, I was sitting down with a bottle of water examining my sandwich.  Between the two buns of the Kaiser roll were hot roast beef, barbecue sauce, lettuce, tomato, and grilled onions to top it off.  It was quite messy, but as they say, the messier the better.  I bit into the sandwich, and I was immediately struck with mouthwatering flavor.  The BBQ sauce dripped off the sandwich onto the plate as some of the load of onions fell along with it.  It was amazing.  I could have devoured the sandwich from heaven in less than 2 minutes, but I took my time and cherished it.  

What's Cooking is a great place for a quick bite, taking out food for a picnic, or even for eating dinner at home as they have prepared foods.  I highly recommend it not only for its appetizing menu, but also for its service.  The staff is very nice, and there are jokes taped along the glass case where the deli meats sit; they give customers something to do while waiting for their food.  One thing is for sure - I will certainly be returning to What's Cooking? in the near future.

Overall: 4.9
Taste:5
Experience: 5
Atmosphere: 4.5
Menu: 5
Service: 5
Would I return? Absolutely

No comments:

Post a Comment