Friday, July 3, 2009

Kohlrabi


We're not only about reviewing restaurants. We're just about food stuff.

So I wanted to quickly give you a food that most of you haven't heard of, but should definitely try. 

It's called kohlrabi, and it's a crazy looking vegetable that's a relative of cabbage,  but has the texture like that of a turnip. It's sweeter than a turnip but has the same crunch, and it can be prepared in so many ways- sauteed, in a soup, or raw in a salad. It's even good raw with peanut butter or hummus. 

And it's widely available, especially in local farmer's markets. So definitely check this vegetable out because it's one of those unknown and under-appreciated ones. 

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This food blog has never ceased to amaze me. Not only have you covered the restaurants in the greater Fairfield County area, but you also cover just "food". This is a vegetable I must try. I have a very trained pallet from years of working in culinary institutes, and this is the first time I have ever heard of kohlrabi. I am interested in spotting out this vegetables individual texture

    ReplyDelete