Monday, July 6, 2009

S & S Dugout

S & S Dugout 203-255-2579
3449 Post Road Southport, CT 06890

Located on the Post Road (just past the Westport border), the S & S Dugout has been serving up breakfast and lunch for years. The decor is nothing to brag about, but the Dugout does offer a place to stop for a cheap breakfast or lunch. 

I've eaten at the Dugout several times, and I'd say my favorite item on the menu was the sausage and egg sandwich. They use a spicy sausage patty that adds much more flavor than ham or bacon. The Dugout also has omelets, french toast, hash browns and your other breakfast regulars. The breakfast was nothing too special- just pretty average. 

The lunch at the Dugout has very limited options with your normal sandwiches, hot dogs, burgers, and that's about it. For me, the burger and hot dog were just average, too. Although I have yet to try their supposedly delicious roast beef sandwich, the Dugout is simply a place for a quick, cheap bite to eat. 

I'd say don't expect a great meal, as they have few choices and offer just your standard dishes. If you are going to eat at the Dugout, I recommend getting breakfast and get the sausage with it. Unless you're looking for a cheap, greasy dish- skip the Dugout and head somewhere else.




1 comment:

  1. The Dugout (then known as Ed's Dugout) was there when I was in Staples. It looked the same, believe it or not. One highlight: Watching the famous wrestler Haystack Calhoun eat there. He had to weigh 600 pounds, and his body slobbered across 2 stools. Quite a sight.

    ReplyDelete